Connect with us

BUSINESS

Ford Says It’s a New Era. Wall Street Isn’t Buying It

Published

on


Eight months after taking over as chief executive of Ford Motor, Jim Hackett is still trying to accomplish one of his most important tasks: convincing Wall Street that he has a compelling plan to reinvigorate the automaker.

Mr. Hackett, 62, a former chief executive of the office-furniture supplier Steelcase, has taken several shots at it. In October, he and the new team of top executives he selected appeared before financial analysts in New York to outline a plan to cut costs — improve Ford’s “fitness,” in Mr. Hackett’s words — and to accelerate development of trucks, electric cars and self-driving vehicles.

He pressed his case further this month before large audiences at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas and the Detroit auto show.

But so far investors and analysts remain uninspired. The company’s stock is virtually unchanged since late September, while the Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index has gained 13 percent.

“Ford is basically saying, ‘We have a lot of inefficiencies, and it’s going to take a lot of time to fix,’” said David Whiston, a financial analyst at Morningstar. “I thought a lot of these inefficiencies were taken care of a long time ago. It’s disappointing.”

The latest disappointment arrived on Wednesday, when Ford reported fourth-quarter net income of $2.4 billion, or 60 cents a share. That was an improvement over a loss in the comparable period a year ago, but its adjusted earnings were 39 cents a share, about 4 cents less than analysts expected.

Profit fell in North America as sales slowed in the United States, and the company lost about $200 million in the rest of the world. Sales in China fell 6 percent.

The company forecast a decline in earnings this year, mainly as a result of rising commodity costs and unfavorable exchange rates. Ford also said it would have higher costs related to the introduction of new models — 23 are coming this year globally, compared with 11 in 2017.

“We need to be fitter,” said Ford’s chief financial officer, Robert L. Shanks.

Mr. Shanks told reporters that he didn’t think analysts were unconvinced about Ford’s turnaround plan. “With the exception of Tesla, the market is skeptical about the sector’s ability to be successful in the world that’s ahead of us” he said.

In a conference call, analysts pressed Mr. Hackett to talk about initiatives to improve profitability, but he declined to discuss them in detail, except to say they are “up and running.”

Just a few years ago, Ford was considered the healthiest of the three Detroit automakers, having escaped the government-engineered bankruptcies that engulfed General Motors and Chrysler. With Alan Mulally as chief executive, Ford slimmed down, focused on its Ford and Lincoln brands, and roared to record profits.

After Mr. Mulally retired in 2014 and passed the baton to Mark Fields, however, Ford began to drift as new technologies started reshaping the industry; as new challengers emerged in Tesla, Google and Uber; and as a revived G.M. and a merged Fiat Chrysler Automobiles provided increased competition in the high-margin business of trucks and roomy sport-utility vehicles. Its stock slumped, and Ford directors began wondering if Mr. Fields had the right strategy.

In May, Ford’s board ousted Mr. Fields and called on Mr. Hackett, who had previously served on the board and then joined the company to run its activities in autonomous vehicles and related efforts.

Mr. Hackett took three months to dive into Ford’s troubles and found that Ford was spending too much time and money developing new vehicles, and that costs for steel, other materials and components were rising. His prescription called for Ford to refocus investments on growing markets like China and highly profitable vehicles like trucks and S.U.V.s, while cutting back on initiatives in less promising areas like Europe and passenger cars.

“We are intensely focusing on fixing the fundamental health of our company,” Mr. Hackett said on Wednesday.

To ensure that Ford will be a player down the road, the company is also ramping up plans to introduce 40 electrified vehicles by 2022 and a driverless car for taxi fleets, ride-hailing services and delivery companies by 2021.

At the Detroit show, Ford said it planned to spend $11 billion on electric vehicles by 2022.

But neither the plan nor Mr. Hackett himself has generated much excitement. His appearance in Las Vegas, where Mr. Mulally shined in the past, fell flat. At a conference known for gee-whiz demonstrations of new technologies, Mr. Hackett gave a presentation about how to rethink transportation and cities of the future.

“It was very philosophical,” said Mr. Whiston, who was in the audience. “He might be appealing to a nonautomotive audience, but financial analysts want more.”

More troubling to Wall Street is that Ford’s new strategy is likely to have little immediate impact on its bottom line.

Brian Johnson, a financial analyst at Barclays, wrote in a note to clients issued before Ford reported its fourth-quarter results that “the path ahead in shifting Ford’s strategy will be rather long.”

G.M. has been ahead of Ford in adding trucks and S.U.V.s to its lineup. At the Detroit show, Ford unveiled a midsize pickup truck, the Ranger. G.M.’s Chevrolet and GMC brands have had midsize trucks for nearly three years.

“There was a really stark contrast between Ford and G.M. presentations” given to financial analysts at the show, Mr. Whiston said. “G.M. was all about optimism, and Ford talked about fitness and efficiency.”

Photo Credit : Jim Hackett, Ford’s chief executive, at the Detroit auto show this month. He has called for the company to focus more on growing markets like China and to shift production to larger, more profitable vehicles. Credit Carlos Osorio/Associated Press


Advertisement
Click to comment

BUSINESS

Automaker Daimler AG to pay $1.5 billion to settle emissions cheating probes

Published

on

Daimler AG Chief Executive Officer Dieter Zetsche (C) speaks to the media after he unveiled the Mercedes-Benz Concept Style Coupe at Auto China 2012 in Beijing April 23, 2012. China's premium car market should grow 15-20 percent this year, Zetsche said on Monday, adding that Daimler's sales should at least match that rate. Zetsche also said he expects the company's Mercedes-Benz luxury brand to post a sales increase in Europe this year. REUTERS/Jason Lee

Automaker Daimler AG and subsidiary Mercedes-Benz USA have agreed to pay $1.5 billion to the U.S. government and California state regulators to resolve emissions cheating allegations, officials said Monday.

The U.S. Department of Justice, Environmental Protection Agency and the California attorney general’s office say Daimler violated environmental laws by using so-called “defeat device software” to circumvent emissions testing and sold about 250,000 cars and vans in the U.S. with diesel engines that didn’t comply with state and federal laws.

The settlement, which includes civil penalties, will also require Daimler to fix the vehicles, officials said. In addition, the company will pay $700 million to settle U.S. consumer lawsuits.

The Stuttgart, Germany-based automaker said on Aug. 13 that it had agreements with the Justice Department, Environmental Protection Agency, Customs and Border Protection, the California Air Resources Board and others over civil and environmental claims involving about 250,000 diesel cars and vans.

Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Andrew Wheeler said Daimler did not disclose all of its software, which included “devices designed to defeat emissions controls.”

In a statement, Daimler said it denies the allegations that it cheated and does not admit to any liability in the U.S. The settlements resolve civil proceedings without any determination that Mercedes and Daimler vehicles used defeat devices, the company said. Plus, Daimler said it did not receive a notice of violation of the Clean Air Act from the EPA or California regulators, which is common when defeat devices are used.

The company said it is not obligated to buy back the vehicles, as Volkswagen was, nor will it have an independent monitor to track its progress on the settlement. “By resolving these proceedings, Daimler avoids lengthy court actions with respective legal and financial risks,” the company said.

Daimler also said the emissions control system in the U.S. vehicles is different than models sold in Europe because of different regulatory and legal requirements.

Daimler AG said the settlement would bring costs of about $1.5 billion, while the civil settlement will bring a one-off charge of $875 million. It estimated that “further expenses of a mid three-digit-million” euros would be required to fulfill conditions of the settlements.

Daimler said it owners of model year 2009 through 2016 Mercedes cars and 2010 through 2016 Sprinter vans with “BlueTEC II” diesel engines will be notified of recalls to fix excessive vehicle emissions. Customers will be notified by mail starting late this year, and the company will set up a customer website, Daimler said in a statement.

Owners also will get mailed notices and a website with details of the civil lawsuit settlement including a claim form, Daimler said. The company also will pay attorneys fees of around $83 million.

Steve Berman, a lawyer involved in the class-action lawsuits against Daimler, said in a statement that current owners can get $3,290 or more, while former owners can get $822.50.

“Owners of Mercedes’ dirty diesel cars will finally be able to receive the compensation they deserve and repairs to ensure their vehicles are not emitting illegal levels of harmful pollutants,” Berman said.

Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen said the cost of the Daimler settlement is likely to send a message to deter other companies from engaging in similar conduct.

“We expect that this relief will also serve to deter any others who may be tempted to violate our nation’s pollution laws in the future,” Rosen said.

As part of the U.S. government settlement, Daimler will pay an $875 million civil penalty — about $3,500 for each vehicle that was sold in the U.S. The company will also be required to fix the vehicles and will need to replace some old locomotive engines with newer, low nitrogen oxide-emitting engines that should offset the illegal emissions from its vehicles, Rosen said. A Justice Department official said the company did not have to admit guilt as part of the settlement.

In addition, officials in California will receive $17.5 million for future environmental enforcement, as well as to support environmentally-beneficial projects in the state, officials said.

“Long term, cheating isn’t the smartest way to market your product. Daimler is finding that out today. But they’re not the first — nor likely the last — to try,” said California Attorney General Xavier Becerra.

Daimler’s pollution practices also are under investigation in Germany.

In April 2016, the Justice Department asked Daimler to conduct an internal probe into its exhaust emissions certification process. The request came as the EPA began checking all diesel engines after the Volkswagen cheating was revealed.

Volkswagen, ended up paying $2.8 billion to settle a criminal case due to emissions cheating. Fiat Chrysler also is being investigated for allegedly cheating on emissions.

VW admitted that it turned on pollution controls when vehicles were being tested in EPA labs, and turning them off when the diesel vehicles were on real roads. The company duped the EPA for years before being discovered by a nonprofit climate group and researchers at West Virginia University. In September 2019, federal prosecutors charged a Fiat Chrysler engineer with rigging pollution tests on more than 100,000 diesel pickup trucks and SUVs sold in the U.S., the first indictment since a wave of similar cases against Volkswagen and its managers.

The alleged scheme isn’t as large as the Volkswagen emissions scandal, which involved nearly 600,000 vehicles. But the charges showed that investigators are still on the case, even after Fiat Chrysler agreed to a $650 million civil settlement.

Continue Reading

BUSINESS

Bitcoin’s ascent will be slow & steady: Bloomberg

Published

on

Megabulls such as PlanB are predicting parabolic short- to medium-term price moves for bitcoin, but Bloomberg analyst Mike McGlone believes the leading digital asset’s ascent to $100,000 will be a slow, steady and almost inexorable grind.

The senior commodity strategist at the financial news service believes bitcoin will steadily appreciate because of its fixed supply combined with a growing demand.

“I don’t see what [could] make it stop doing what [it’s] been doing for the last 10 years. And that’s going up,” he told Cointelegraph in a video interview.

McGlone thinks bitcoin could become a better store of value than gold, the traditional safe haven, because its supply is capped. Unlike gold, the total potential supply of which is unknown, bitcoin is inherently scarce; there will never be more than 21 million , and many of the ones already mined have been lost forever, thus increasing the potential value of those that remain accessible.

As demand for the digital asset grows, the price will inevitably go up, explained McGlone. He pointed out that the number of active bitcoin addresses is increasing rapidly and that more and more bitcoin is flowing into regulated exchanges, both of which are strong indications of increasing demand.

But he said investors shouldn’t expect bitcoin to soar to gobsmacking new highs on the short term as it has historically following its reward halvings – it climbed from around $1,000 to nearly $20,000 in the last bull run, before crashing hard in early 2018. Now that it is a mature asset, he said its price behaviour will be less dramatic.

When asked about Pantera Capital’s prediction that bitcoin will soar to $115,000 in just a year, McGlone said, “Bitcoin 10x? Maybe over 10 years, that makes a lot of sense.”

Read: Bitcoin is set to become digital gold: Bloomberg

Asia Times Financial is now live. Linking accurate news, insightful analysis and local knowledge with the ATF China Bond 50 Index, the world’s first benchmark cross sector Chinese Bond Indices. Read ATF now. 

Source link

Continue Reading

BUSINESS

Investors offload risk after Fed gets real

Published

on

A man with a protective mask walks in the rain past an electronic stock board showing Japan's Nikkei. AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko

Hong Kong: Financial markets in Asia retreated on Thursday over disappointment that the US central bank did not expand its asset purchase programme, although it did reiterate its ‘lower for longer’ message.

The Bank of Japan’s decision to keep rates unchanged was expected by the market but investors sold off stocks as a dovish Fed weakened the dollar against the yen, whose strength in turn hammered exporters’ prospects.

The Japanese yen strengthened 0.2% to 104.7 to the dollar.

“The yen currently sits at around ¥105 against the dollar – that’s a little stronger than in the summer but far weaker than what the current spread between JGBs and US Treasuries would usually point to,” Capital Economics analysts Tom Learmouth and Marcel Thieliant said, referring to the narrowing of the spread. “While we expect the yen to remain close to ¥105 the risks are tilted slightly towards a stronger yen.”

The drag from exporters pulled down Japan’s Nikkei 225 index which fell 0.67%, while Australia’s S&P ASX 200 slipped 1.22% as investors worried about a rollback of stimulus after data released showed a drop in the unemployment rate.

Hong Kong’s Hang Seng index also retreated 1.56% as investors prepared for a slew of IPOs including the world’s biggest – the Ant Financial $30-billion bonanza expected next month. At least three share offerings are expected next week as well, as issuers avoid a clash with Ant Financial’s mammoth offering. Delivery company ZTO Express, biotech company Zai Lab and online retailer Baozun are in a race for cash.

China’s CSI300 eased 0.53% as the region remained under pressure following disappointment over the US central bank’s unchanged asset purchase programme.

‘Congress must step up’

“And while risk assets might love the intravenous drip of monetary stimulus, it is time to focus on policies that the real economy needs, and for that, Powell is dead right, it’s time for Congress to step up to the plate,” Robert Carnell, ING Bank’s Regional Head of Research in the Asia-Pacific, said.

“Perhaps the market reaction here is more a realisation of this and the fact that any resolution to the current impasse is unlikely until the Presidential election outcome is determined.”

US Treasuries picked on the Fed’s ‘dot plot’, extending its gains with the 10-year yield declining 2 basis points to 0.68%.

The Federal Reserve’s dot plot, which the US central bank uses to signal its outlook for the path of interest rates, projects no change in policy this year and borrowing costs near zero through till 2023, based on median estimates. It said they must achieve maximum employment and inflation at a rate of 2% over the longer run.

“The Committee decided to keep the target range for the federal funds rate at 0 to 1/4% and expects it will be appropriate to maintain this target range until labor market conditions have reached levels consistent with the Committee’s assessments of maximum employment and inflation has risen to 2% and is on track to moderately exceed 2% for some time.”

Asia Stocks

· Japan’s Nikkei 225 index dropped 0.67%

· Australia’s S&P ASX 200 slipped 1.22%

· Hong Kong’s Hang Seng index retreated 1.56%

· China’s CSI300 eased 0.53%

· The MSCI Asia Pacific index fell 0.70%.

Stock of the day

Times China bonds rose and shares fell after it announced a plan to buy back its bonds due in 2021.

This report appeared initially on Asia Times Financial.

Asia Times Financial is now live. Linking accurate news, insightful analysis and local knowledge with the ATF China Bond 50 Index, the world’s first benchmark cross sector Chinese Bond Indices. Read ATF now. 

Source link

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular