Revenues at Starling rose last year as it doubled its customer account numbers and raked in billions more in deposits.
The digital bank, which has no branches but allows individuals and small businesses to do their banking through a mobile phone app, pulled in revenues of £97.6million in the 16 months to March 31 – up almost 600 per cent on the prior year.
Starling’s customer numbers jumped from 926,000 to 2.1m, and deposits grew from £1billion to £5.8billion.
Appy days: Digital bank Starling, raked in revenues of £97.6m in the 16 months to March 31 – up almost 600 per cent on the prior year
And as small businesses rushed to the lender to borrow under government-support schemes during the pandemic, because it was one of the few banks open to new customers, lending shot up to £2.2billion from a ‘very low base’.
The challenger bank has been profitable since October, and over the 16-month period – longer than the usual financial year because Starling has realigned its accounting date – it narrowed its losses to £23.3million from £52.1million the previous year.
Starling said it is still opening a new account on average every 34 seconds.
Chief executive and founder Anne Boden said the bank was still planning to float on the stock market in late 2022 or early 2023 but that it ‘will not be rushed’.
She added that it would also look to buy businesses which help match borrowers with lenders, to build Starling’s loan book.
Share or comment on this article:
Some links in this article may be affiliate links. If you click on them we may earn a small commission. That helps us fund This Is Money, and keep it free to use. We do not write articles to promote products. We do not allow any commercial relationship to affect our editorial independence.
Girlfriend’s ‘heart torn in two’ as ‘stuntman’ knifed to death while filming music video
A stuntman’s girlfriend has revealed her heartbreak after he was knifed to death while filming a music video.
Devastated Seleka Gathercole said “my heart’s been torn in two” after her partner Shane Jerome, 23, was attacked during a music video shoot.
Shane had been on Brixton High Street shooting the rap video with Lamborghini sports cars, people in balaclavas and a quad bike before a confrontation between two groups broke out.
The victim was rushed towards an ambulance clutching his chest following the savage attack, horrified witnesses said.
Police said Shane was found suffering from a stab wound but a post-mortem examination will be conducted in due course.
Paramedics worked to save Jerome, from Thornton Heath, but he was pronounced dead at the scene half an hour later.
Grief-stricken Seleka said: “My heart’s completely torn in two.
“I will never ever ever get over the loss of you – you mean more to me than I could ever explain.”
The bloke’s devastated pals also paid tribute to “one of the best guys they knew”.
Courtney Young wrote: “RIP Shane. I honestly can’t believe it.
“Life is too short, it’s always the least expected. Fly high friend.”
Rebecca Newell added: “Rest in perfect peace to one of the best guys I knew.
“Was always there just a phone call away, forever and always in my heart.”
A 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm but was released with no further action.
Authorities have appealed for any information from people who were in the area at the time.
Detective Chief Inspector Kate Blackburn, leading the investigation said: “Brixton Road near to the tube station is a busy area of London and there were many people in the street, on buses and in cars yesterday evening.
Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?
We’ve got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.
Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They’ll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.
‘Time traveller’ claims 7ft aliens will land on Earth next year and spark war
A “time traveller” who claims to be from the year 2491 reckons there will be giant aliens with a”distorted appearance” arriving on Earth in 2022.
The adventurer, who goes by the name “futuretimetraveller” on TikTok, revealed some of the details of the “extraterrestrial species” and bizarrely claimed they will “spark war” with humans.
The video shows a blue sky in the background with large-font captions, which read: “What you call Aliens will make their first appearance on Earth next year.
“The exact date they are first sighted is May 24, 2022.”
The “traveller” then explains that in 2491, there are various types of aliens and the group that live on Earth “as citizens” are called “Nirons”.
Do you believe time travellers exist or are they complete nonsense? Let us know in the comments below
“[They] come in peace and don’t mean harm but the US attack them and begin in the first of many inter-dimensional wars,” they added.
“They are about 7ft 4in and have long shaped skulls, dark grey and distorted appearance. They do not come to be harmful but are extremely dangerous when provoked.”
As with all so-called time travellers, the TikToker provided absolutely zero evidence for his bombastic claims – but that didn’t stop the video being seen more than 94,000 times.
Many viewers were dubious about the theory and they tried to ask for more details about the alien’s arrival.
One said: “So do humans and Nirons procreate and create a new race?”
A second added: “I’m so hooked on your account and scared at the same time.”
“I heard the government is already working with them,” another suggested and the adventurer replied: “I want to tell you because I know but am scared for my own safety.”
“Futuretimetraveller” is not the first TikTok influencer who posts bizarre warnings of events from the future. Another recently made a bonkers claim that there would be pyramids in the sky and warned viewers to “not look up at them” when, or if, his outrageous prediction occurs.
Delta variant of Covid one of the most infectious of all respiratory diseases, CDC director says
The Delta variant of Covid-19 is one of the most infectious of all respiratory diseases, the director of the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Thursday.
“The delta variant is more aggressive and much more transmissible than previously circulating strains. It is one of the most infectious respiratory viruses we know of, and that I have seen in my 20-year career,” CDC Director Dr Rochelle Walensky said.
Dr Walensky told reporters that “this virus has no incentive to let up, and it remains in search of the next vulnerable person to infect,” reported NBC News.
“We are at yet another pivotal moment in this pandemic, with cases rising again and some hospitals reaching their capacity in some areas, we need to come together as one nation,” she said.
The CDC, however, hasn’t changed its guidance that vaccinated people do not need to wear masks.
Dr William Schaffner, a professor of infectious diseases in the health policy department at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville, said this delta (strain) at the moment is honing in on largely unvaccinated persons.
Delta variant has become the most dominant variant across the US and is accounting for over 80 percent of sequenced cases. The US has also witnessed a surge in the Covid-19 cases with close to 600,000 cases over the last four weeks.
Till 15 July, over 341.7 million doses of Covid-19 have been administered but scepticism against vaccines led to a slowdown. According to reports, over 95 per cent of people admitted to the hospital in the US with symptoms of Covid-19 are unvaccinated.
The scepticism, however, may soon change due to rising Covid-19 cases.
Jeff Zients, who is head of president Joe Biden’s Covid-19 team, on Thursday told media that several states with the highest proportions of new infections have seen residents get vaccinated at higher rates than the nation as a whole.
The officials cited Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Missouri and Nevada as examples.
Bournemouth beachgoer says ‘everyone was groping me in the water’ after teen girl raped
A woman has claimed that she was sexually assaulted at the same part of a beach a teenage girl was allegedly raped at during the weekend.
Dorset Police confirmed on Wednesday that a 15-year-old girl reported she was raped while swimming in the sea at Bournemouth on Sunday, July 18.
And now following the shocking news of the incident, a woman reportedly posted on social media claiming she was a victim of being groped in the sea off Bournemouth a few weeks before.
According to the Daily Mail, she wrote: “I went a few weeks back and everyone was groping me in the water.
“There was hundreds of people and it was people passing me by in the water so I couldn’t really get a good look at them.
“I just kept swimming to other areas. It happened everywhere though and I’m fine.”
The police released an appeal for witnesses to the rape of the 15-year-old girl and revealed the victim was with her friends playing with a ball when it landed in front of a teenage boy on Sunday.
The boy eventually threw it back to one of the group and then began talking to the victim, before pulling her out deeper into the sea where it is reported that he raped her.
A release by Dorset Police said: “The offender told the victim that he was 17 years old and was travelling to Birmingham.
“He is described as possibly of Pakistani descent and with tanned skin, between five feet and five feet seven inches tall and of a thin but muscular build with short dark hair that was pushed back and looked freshly trimmed.”
He was wearing black or grey swimming shorts, the statement added.
Detective Inspector Wayne Seymour, of the Major Crime Investigation Team, said: “A full investigation is underway into this incident and we are continuing to support the victim while we carry out enquiries.
“I know that the beach was very busy on the day of the incident so I am appealing to anyone who was in the area and may have witnessed what happened to please come forward.
“Also, I would urge anyone who was on the beach in the vicinity of the Oceanarium to check any photographs or video footage taken to see if they have captured anything of relevance.
“I am particularly keen to speak to anyone who recognises the boy from the description given or may have seen him on the beach on Sunday 18 July.
“This incident will understandably cause concern for the wider community and we would like to remind the public that officers from the local neighbourhood policing team will be carrying out patrols in the area and can be approached with any concerns.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact Dorset Police at www.dorset.police.uk, via email email@example.com or by calling 101, quoting occurrence number 55210115587.
Alternatively, to stay 100 per cent anonymous, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers online at Crimestoppers-uk.org or call Freephone 0800 555 111.
Neglected dad, 83, was ‘not washed for days’ before dying in care home during lockdown
An elderly man who was placed in a care home after suffering from a stroke was “not washed for days” according to his daughter.
Joseph Ainsworth, 83, was taken into a care home on March 20 last year, three days before the country’s Covid lockdown began.
Just under two months later, on May 15, the pensioner passed away after suffering a second stroke.
His daughter, Lynne Carville, said that his final days were so bleak that his death came as somewhat of a “relief,” reports the Liverpool Echo.
When family members visited Rowan Garth Nursing Home in Lower Breck Road, Anfield they witnessed Joseph left for hours in his room with the door shut, sometimes unwashed, and at times dehydrated and shouting for a nurse.
Lynne said: “”It sounds strange but after he passed away there was a huge sense of relief that he wasn’t being tortured every second of the day.
“In the end we just wanted to forget about it and remember him how he was.”
This week the Care Quality Commission (CQC) remonstrated Rowan Garth after an inspection.
The state of the facility, run by Bloomcare, part of Wellington Healthcare (Ardern), was so dire CQC head of adult social care inspection, Hayley Moore, said: “This sort of care is absolutely unacceptable, and no person should ever have to live like this.”
Lynne said things became bad at the home after the first lockdown was introduced.
She said: “From lockdown when they knew nobody was able to come in it just went from bad to worse. They were horrible to us.
“We had to stand outside the window and talk to him and some days we could see he had not had his teeth cleaned for days, there was so much white stuff on his teeth.
“Because of the stroke he could only move one side of his body, but they kept putting the table with his water on the paralysed side so when we saw him he was completely parched.
“They never dressed him properly, or cleaned him properly. He had the same t-shirt on for three days with food on it.”
Lynne said her dad was stoic and would not raise a fuss about his treatment.
She said: “He would say to me ‘don’t explain, don’t complain’.”
Bloomcare did not reply to a request to comment on Joseph’s treatment.
However the firm previously gave a statement in response to the damning CQC inspection saying: “We acknowledge there were areas where we fell short of the high standards our residents and relatives rightfully expect and deserve, and we took immediate action and have a comprehensive action plan in place to address this.”
Liverpool Council has also said its adult social care team is reviewing each resident at Rowan Garth “to ensure their needs are being adequately met”.